St. Joseph’s Catholic Church and cemetery are located in St. Joe, Marshfield Twp., WI
The first church was made of logs and built in 1860, on land donated by local farmers. It was started as a mission church from nearby Mt. Calvary. The first death occurred in 1866. In May of that year, an energetic priest announced a new project: the church graveyard should be brought into order. A few days later, large boulders were dug up and dragged away by oxen. Three stumps were dug out and the ground was leveled. Posts were set around the border and boards nailed to them. More about the history of the church can be read here.